This delicious savory pie will have you and your kids coming back for seconds as you get your greens on! Up your dinner game by adding it to your mix and even throwing an extra one in the freezer for those days you’re not interested in cooking but want to eat like a king anyways. Recipe by Ina Garten.
- 3 c chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
- 2 T good olive oil
- 2 t sea salt
- 1 1/2 t pepper
- 3 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 6 XL eggs, beaten
- 2 t nutmeg
- 1/2 c Parmesan cheese
- 3 T plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound good feta cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 c pine nuts
- 1/4 pound salted butter, melted
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, defrosted
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a saute pan on medium heat, sauce the onions with the olive oil until translucent and slightly browned (10-15 minutes). Add salt and pepper and allow to cool slightly.
- Squeeze out and discard as much of the liquid from the spinach as possible. Put it into a bowl then gently mix in the onions, eggs, nutmeg, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, feta and pine nuts.
- Butter a saute pan and line with 6 stacked sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with melted butter.
- Pour the spinach mixture into the pan then fold the edges of the phyllo dough up and brush with butter to seal it.
- Bake for 1 hour then remove and allow to cool completely, serving at room temperature.